Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hulaman Half Ironman - August 17th 2008

Woke up at 4am and ate my normal meal of eggs whites and cheese along with oatmeal by 4:30. Left the house at 5am sharp to head to T2 (Bike to Run Transition) at the Hillsboro Stadium. By 5:30 had polished off a kashi go lean chocolate toffee bar. Stuck to my proven strategy of getting my gut full an hour and a half before the race started so a) I would have enough calories to top off my fuel tank b) digest all my food before the nerves set in and all systems locked up. Arrived to Hagg Lake at 6:15. The only thing left to do was to pump my tires, take my bike for a quick spin around the parking lot to make sure everything was working as expected and squeeze into my wetsuit. Was relieved to see the sunrise was blocked by cloud cover. Thank GOD it was not going to be a 100 degree race day!





SWIM
Wow, Hagg Lake was like a bathtub! It had been around 100 degrees in the Portland area for the 3 days leading up to the race. The swim was two .6 mile laps. The first lap was like glass, the water was smooth. During the second lap things changed; out of nowhere waves showed up. I suck at navigation in the open water anyways (as evidenced by my husband telling me I do indeed zig zag in the water). Hmm, was told this during Ocean Shores by another triathlete as well. I actually got overheated in my wetsuit!!! I had to slow my pace down because I was HOT. Could not believe it; usually I freeze my ass off in the water! I wish I would have worn my shlong (nick name I give my sleeveless wetsuit means sleeveless short on top with full body cover long on bottom get it, huh huh). I swear there was cow manure in the water, I could taste it. I have spent lots of time on farms so I know what this smells (consequently tastes) like. Was out of the water in 43 minutes. Was not stoked with my swim time, I am convinced if I could actually swim in a straight line my split would have been 5 minutes faster. In the pool I do not totally suck, I swear!!!

Swim Distance 1.2 Miles
Swim Finnish Time 43 Minutes
Women Overall 16/28
Age Group F30-34 3/6


BIKE
Thanks to lubing myself up like a slithery snake between the “suite juice” and body glide had a transition time of 2:11 between getting my suite off and getting my bike stuff on. This was the most challenging bike course I have EVER faced in a tri. The course was two laps around hilly Hagg Lake followed by a nice route out to Gales Creek Rd. Then took a sharp right and BOOM, I was met with CRAPshaw, I mean Capshaw Hill Rd. I swear the thing was straight up and down! Got into my lowest bike gear, stood up, and made it up the hill. They should have called about a third of this bike route “The gravely tar classic”. I felt like a human vibrator at times as I was pushing along on my 15 pound bike with the skinny wheels. I must have seen no less then 3 athletes on the side of the road with flat tires. I think my tubeless tires are flat resistant because I have not had one single flat on my tri bike all summer.

During the bike route kept my hr in the mid to high 150’s for the most part (z2). Did go into z3 (163-170) on some of the hills. I did not have my normal HR monitor (had to ship it to a service center in Seattle to have the battery replaced). My glutes (English translation = butt) muscles were on fire! Love the tri bike though, makes me use my glutes so my legs are fresher for the run. The monitor I was wearing did not have an average hr feature. Damn it! Without my trusty ANALyzer what was a girl to do!

As far as nutrition goes, the first hour I got through one hammer gel and one bottle of Perpeteum. Between hour 1 and 2 got through another hammer gel and most of the second bottle of Perpeteum Between hour 2 and 3 got through the 2nd bottle of Perpeteum and about a ¼ of the 3rd bottle along with a 3rd gel shot. Total caloric intake on the bike was 560 calories. It was around 75-80 degrees with cloud cover and about 56 percent humidity.

Bike Distance 56 Miles
Bike Finnish Time 3:00 hr
Average Pace 18.6
Women Overall 10/28
Age Group F30-34 3/6



RUN
As I was heading into transition to get off my bike and into my run gear I was met by cheers from my in-laws, hubby, and nephew. It was so nice to have them there cheering me on. My Bike to Run transition was 1 minute! The run was pretty flat. Two loops basically around the Intel campus and though a park. I didn’t know Hillsboro had parks, I thought it just had Winco and the Streets of Tanasbourne. Around mile 1 stopped to use the crapper. I was not going to leave anything to chance at this point. I knew I would not be able to hold it for then next 1:50 minutes or so. It was at least 80 degrees with humidity (around 60%) at this time so I was getting hot. I must have taken in about 5 endorolyte tablets during the course of the run and 3 gel shots. Felt like I needed the fuel. Of course, legs felt heavy and like bricks. Stopped at every water stop (except last one) and took two waters (one for my mouth one for my head). I started to get really nauseous during the last 25 minutes of the run and knew my stomach was not going to be able to hold anything else so what was in me at the time was going to be it through the end of the race. The HR monitor I was borrowing was not giving me an accurate read so I can only guestimate my HR. When I manually took it at the water stops it was around 170. During the last 3 miles of the run tried to push it but my brick legs were not having it!!! Completed the run in 158:00 (with stops in the crapper and 5 water stations). Average 9 min per mile. Was hopping to be in the 8’s but given the hard effort on the bike and the heat and humidity I was happy!

Run Distance 13.1 Miles
Run Finnish Time 1hr 58 min
Average Pace 9 min per mile
Women Overall 11/28
Age Group F30-34 4/6



Overall Finnish time 5hrs 45minutes
Women Overall 12/28
Age Group F30-34 3/6


After the race was really nauseous and felt like whatever I ate might come back up. Did force myself to eat some pork, salad, and a banana about 20 min after the race. I needed to get some protein and glycogen back to my muscles. I was covered in salt after the race (think from sweating out all the endurolytes?). The salt was so thick it was coming through my clothes. Wonder if nausea was caused by electrolyte imbalance? Felt a little nauseated for the remainder of the day (which is unusual for me). By the time I woke up Monday AM the nausea had gone away. Besides the overall muscle tightness, I felt normal.


The day after the race I had an hour and a half massage and a spinal/neck adjustment from my chiropractor. This is the ticket and what I will do from this point forward after completing every half IM! Three days after the race as I write this my body feels great (although my sinus's are on fire from the extreme weather change)

Race season 2008 has officially ended! I feel like I have met my goals for this year and that had a strong season. Besides cutting my finger with a butcher knife resulting in stitches and a freaky bloody nose resulting in packing and carterization (keeping me out of the pool for a total of 3 weeks) I really did not have any setbacks. I am happy and contemplating what my goals for 2009 will be. A full Ironman? Qualifying for the Half Ironman world championships in Clearwater Florida? I will keep you updated ;-)

No comments: